Wednesday, March 20, 2013

SOS Interview

GRADUATE INTERVIEW: ALEXIS HOUSTON


We recently had the chance to catch up with School of Style graduate, Alexis Houston and boy has she been keeping busy. Alexis graduated in 2011 and has since built up a resume of impressive and diverse jobs that make us so proud. Check this girl out!


SOS: Tell us a little bit about yourself?
AH: I moved to L.A. from my hometown, Shreveport, LA, nine months ago.  After realizing corporate America wasn’t for me, I  had this idea of wanting to experience the thrill of chasing a dream. I told myself failure wasn’t an option and either go hard or go home.  I’ve always been into fashion but didn’t really consider it as a career until after I graduated college. One day I randomly ran across SOS on a blog and haven’t looked back since!
SOS: Did you have experience in the fashion industry before attending School Of Style?
AH: No. None.
SOS: When did you know you wanted to become a wardrobe stylist?
AH: I’ve always styled my friends and family for fun but never considered it as a career.  But the defining moment was a few years ago when I was at a party and couldn’t enjoy myself because the person hosting the party was dressed horribly!  My entire night was spent thinking about how I would rework the look if I had the opportunity.  I thought to myself “Ok, this isn’t normal, I have to do something about this.” So I did.
SOS: When did you graduate from School Of Style?
AH: February 2011
SOS: Which classes did you take?
AH: Classes 1, 2, 3, and Styling Boot Camp
SOS: What was the most valuable thing you learned at School Of Style?
AH: The most valuable thing I learned at School of Style is to be super organized and to do whatever you can to make the key stylists’ job easier. Also, to always be on time, available, and ready to work.
SOS: What was the most shocking thing you learned?
AH: The most shocking thing I learned was that the business side of styling is somewhat complex and that it can make or break you.
SOS: Have you been able to find work since graduating from School Of Style?
AH: Yes! I’ve assisted Renelou Padora, Nicole Janowicz, and Lindsay Zir. I’ve also assisted on the following jobs:
- G.O.O.D. Music 106th-N-Park Album Promo TV appearance
- Cheryl Cole L’Oreal commercial
- Ellie Goulding Rocking NYE TV appearance
- Kim Kardashian personal styling
- Cheryl Cole book tour (press)
- Kanye West European shows
- Wavves “Afraid of Heights” music video
- Backstreet Boys album cover photo shoot
- Redrama ft. A.J. McLean “Clouds” music video
- Eugene Is My Middle Name AW 2013 Lookbook
- Interned at Starworks Group Showroom
SOS: Describe your “style” as a stylist
AH: Classic/vintage silhouettes with a modern twist, tailored to perfection.
SOS: Is that different than your personal style? If so, describe your personal style:
AH: Yes, my personal style changes according my mood but I would describe my style lately as modified-hipster.
SOS: Who is your dream client?
AH: My politically correct answer is: anyone with an open mind who understands fashion and isn’t afraid to take fashion risks. My real answer is: Beyonce.
SOS: Who are your favorite designers?
AH: Tom Ford, Alber Elbaz, Olivier Rousteing, Frida Giannini, and Marc Jacobs
SOS: Favorite trends?
AH: Leather is everywhere and I’m absolutely loving it.
SOS: Trends you wish would die?
AH: Anything spiked. Or studded.
SOS: What are your favorite places to shop?
AH: Topshop, ASOS, Zara, Urban Outfitters, vintage and consignment shops
SOS: Any tips you would like to share with other stylists who are just starting out?
AH: Never give up no matter how hard it gets. Never pass up an opportunity because you think its too small, you never know where it may lead. Always ask questions and make sure you understand exactly what the stylist wants.  Try to anticipate his/her needs. Take good notes and pictures of everything. Be honest. Be yourself.  Good luck!

My experience with School of Style has been beyond what I could've ever imagined.  Without SOS, most of the opportunities listed above would have been extremely hard, if not impossible to obtain.  I can't thank Luke and Lauren enough.  I hope to continue making them proud!  Check out more graduate interviews over at http://www.theschoolofstyle.com/blog/.  It's seriously the one stop shop for any aspiring fashion styllist.

P.S.  I wish I could just pull my hair back in a messy pony in the picutre above..ugh I hate it!  I was fully natural when this taken 8 months ago...needless to say it didn't work out too well for me.  See below for up to date (better) pics!






No comments:

Post a Comment